Tuesday, January 5, 2010

And so it begins ...

There was a challenge.

Brodi delivers her manuscript. I deliver a blog.

I'm not sure which one was harder really -- because I really don't fancy myself an excellent blogger (I know ... way to entice my readership. But if I don't have a readership, does it matter? There's a joke in here somewhere about my readership being in the woods and a tree falling, I just know it) and Brodi is the world's fastest writer.

Needless to say, I received an email this morning, containing the majority of her mss. So here I am.

I have this inate fear of the blog. I shouldn't though, because doesn't everyone blog? Not that "everyone doing something" removes fear, but blogging should just be common place. No big deal.

But it is. A big deal.

First, there's the blog name. All these clever names to compete with ... I don't have a clever name. I am what I am. The most clever name I came up with, pretty much after 5 years of brainstorming is ... drum roll ... "Nuts & Bolton." Get it? Like nuts & bolts, except Bolton. I know. It's lame, but it's all I got.

Second, the layout. I could spend hours pouring over websites all containing cute layouts that essentially do not matter. So here is the first layout that does not completely offend my sensitive eyes.

Third. Time. I have none. I know everyone says that ... but I'm a SAHM for this guy (he made that face when we told him I was starting a blog),


I run a home business, I work part time as a data analyst, I'm part of The SIX -- a very active writers group, AND I've been given a deadline of June 1st for a full first draft of my manuscript. That pretty much leaves 2 minutes in my day to make dinner, shower, and now blog. And they voted I'm the least crazy. Seriously people?

Crazy or not, here I come, blog world. How am I doing?

8 comments:

  1. First comment ever on my wife's blog. Only appropriate I guess. But I will refrain from posting any wikipedia references. Glad to see you got a blog though because apparently that's the only way to recognize yourself as an official serious author. So now you're official and you can be recognized by other official serious authors. My wife the author. I like the sound of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! And the subtitle "Not Crazy" says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, you blogged. Now I can link to you and stuff and share inside blogger jokes. I am so proud! And don't think you have to blog as much as Brodi. Only crazy people blog that much. And you are NOT crazy--in a comparative sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. you'll always be #6 Crazy to me. "Not Crazy" is a nice idea, but . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally!!!!!!!!! Okay, is it lame that it took me quite a while to figure out what SAHM meant? I LOVE the picture. He's so dang cute.

    I probably don't need to say this, but I really will send some bad people after you if you don't make that June 1st deadline. And even if they hurt you, it doesn't mean I don't love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This might sound crazy: Here I was, minding my own business when I hear this crashing sound. Hmm...sounded a bit like a tree falling in a forest--but not quite. Maybe a log? No; a blog! Yes, it most definitely was a blog! That can only mean there's a new blog in cyberspace.

    Not crazy after all.

    Congrats! As Ben said, you're official!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go Sara! And I take offense to the notion that you have to be crazy in order to blog a lot. That very idea is crazy, further cementing Bree's position at number one.

    The only thing you have to watch out for are random commentors who feel the need to wikipedia your existence. Consider yourself warned.

    p.s. Now that you've started your blog, finish your manuscript while you're at it. :)

    ReplyDelete